Somewhat OT: Camcorders & airshows questions

Message posted by Brian on June 29, 2003 at 15:02:44 PST:

Ok, I've done still photography at airshows here in California for about 10 years now, and am thinking of getting my first camcorder for some of the events I'll go to in 2004. I need suggestions on what to get, to be able to obtain fairly close shots - I currently use 400 and 500mm telephoto zoom lenses for still shots, and want something in video, if possible, that approaches that kind of magnification.

Right now I am eyeballing a Quasar with 20x optical zoom / 700x digital zoom, the owner has a cheap price on it, and has a few batts, charger, etc. Everything except the manual. As far as magnification, how well would this one do? I know some of you guys talk about having some pretty serious optics, so here I am posting....

Also, couple of other questions -

Probably a really dumb question, but is the Nellis airshow worth going to? What size of a telephoto
still lens would I need there?

I've been to one of the off-base viewing sites along the fence line (LV Blvd) that I got from Glenn's Viewer's Guide. Is it still ok to take pics there, or do they shut ya down now?

One last one, I've never made it up there for any of the Red Flags or other exercises. Are F-4s seen pretty often at any of these?

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]