Re: Setting up Webcam at Tikaboo Peak

Message posted by lone wolf on June 23, 2003 at 19:39:13 PST:

You really can't see much from Tikaboo without a telescope, so this webcam would be a substantial investment. Then there is the problem of getting the video off the peak to a location to feed it too the net. [This would require using a licensed frequency, which I doubt the FCC will grant, or a "free" frequency, which has limited power.] The only town with line of site would be Hiko and perhaps Crystal Spring, so you would need a person in one of those locations to host the webcam. Finally, nothing can be left on BLM property. Even campers are required to move every two weeks.

There are a few ways to put infrastructure on public land. One would be a mining claim. Another would be to bid on agricultural "units", like the cattle ranchers.

When the dust settles on "road sensor"-gate, I believe the base will be in violation of BLM land use (i.e. illegal infrastructure as stated above) and an illegal use of the land mobile radio band. As an aside, the state of Nevada has been fined because their new Nevada Highway Patrol trunk radio system isn't licensed. The powers that be acts as if they didn't know it wasn't licensed, but the scanner crowd knew it all along because they couldn't find the frequencies in the FCC database. Now the camo dudes could put the road sensors in federal bands that they control, but for some reason decided to use the land mobile band which requires a license. There is a law enforcement waiver that would allow the camo dudes to use the band without a license if they were law enforcement, which is a gray area, and the transmitters were under a watt. This is how body wire, i.e. bugs, show up in strange parts of the spectrum.

In Reply to: Setting up Webcam at Tikaboo Peak posted by Cutwolf on June 23, 2003 at 11:09:09 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]