Re: Raptor pic

Message posted by Hank on June 18, 2003 at 14:46:14 PST:

SEZBRONCO:If the truth were known the camera should be getting all the praise. Thanks to Joerg who let me play with his when were in Rachel for Rachel Days a couple weeks ago I went on ebay and bought the same one. An Olympus C-2100 digital 2.1 megapixel with 10x optical zoom and 3x digital zoom. It also has a stabilizer which helps when you are shooting a long zoom.I have since sold my Toshiba 2.2 megapixel with a 3x zoom. I was at the north fence at Nellis for about 3 hours and saw the usual aircraft come and go. I had packed up and was leaving but still had my scanner on. I was already on the road next to the speedway heading for the freeway when I heard the Raptor call sign. (Raptor 1) They said they were flying with a chase plane and requested landing instructions for runway 21 left, which is the runway closest to the corner where the fence makes a 90 degree to the south. I turned around and hit the dirt road as fast as I could go. They were making a straight in approach over Apex. When I got to the corner they were about 1/4 mile out so I grabbed the camera and put it on automatic. The head on pic was taken with full 10x zoom at a 1/600. of a second. The trailing shot was taken no zoom at 1/800th of a second.I was just at the right place at the right time. As Gary would say "shooting fish in a barrel". As an aside this is the second time the scanner was a big help. Another time during a Red Flag an aircraft caught fire on landing and the scanner alerted me. If you can afford one that gets the milair freqs it is invaluable.
Thank You
Hank

In Reply to: Raptor pic posted by SEZBRONCO on June 18, 2003 at 12:46:26 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]