Re: Well, if not, then what?

Message posted by wolfbane on April 05, 2003 at 16:04:54 PST:

Andreas:

As I stated, "Switchblade" was cancelled. The new "BX"
is only at present a proposal, that may not get fielded until 2037 - something like 3 decades. The so-called "large-size F-117" is what is reportedly being deployed. The almost simultaneously retiring of both the USN A-6 Intruder and F-111 Varks should have been an overt indication of a replacement. The "large-size
F-117" fulfills the interdiction role of the A-6 and
F-111. There are both USAF and USN crews assigned to the program. It isn't known (to me, at least) if the new interdiction aircraft can operate from aircraft carriers. Reportedly, the aircraft's actual designation is F-117B (not to be confused with several proposals by the Skunk Works using the same designation). Reports to me of this aircraft existence was in the summer of 1989, when certain insiders mentioned a two seat version of the Nighthawk, and they referred to it as the F-117B.

To digress, anyone that entertains the notion that the F-16 and F-15E can perform the interdiction mission of the F-111 need to re-think the situation.

Wolfbane
via
Dreamland X-Press

PS:

The designation (for attack) "11" was GD's VX-11. The name Astra still stands, according to reports I'm getting.

In Reply to: Re: Well, if not, then what? posted by Andreas Parsch on April 05, 2003 at 14:30:43 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]