Re: Dear Webmaster (OT)

Message posted by Lance Down on March 24, 2003 at 18:09:03 PST:

I know I shouldn't do this, but like one of your countrymen, I can resist everything but temptation (sorry, he was Irish wasn't he?). Just a couple of points: 1) While I'm only a humble oil and gas lawyer, and not a constitutional scholar, I'm reasonably sure that, because we have, as you say freedome of speech, in this country, you can't be "tried in a court of law" for saying something because it's xenophobic or racist; in fact, although the David Dukes of the world are mercifully rare, they certainly exist and no one tries to prosecute them for what they say, repulsive as it may be. 2) It doesn't make sense to say that "anti-Europe rantings" are racist, since they have nothing to do with the race of the parties, and since a majority of us are, in fact, of the same race. Actually, I haven't seen much in the way of the rantings you speak of (calling French Fries Freedom Fries is either pathetic or a mildly clever jab, but its hardly ranting); I admit, however, that it's possible that I've missed it.

In Reply to: Re: Dear Webmaster (OT) posted by Andrew on March 24, 2003 at 16:17:52 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]