Re: Never Happened.

Message posted by lone wolf on March 23, 2003 at 14:39:05 PST:

I think you could venture into parts of the NTS and never get caught, as long as you never tried to get close to something sensitive. I've driven one half of the Desert National Wildlife range (Alamo to the dry lake) and it looks totally unguarded. Joerg drove the other half, so he could comment on the security or lack thereof on that border. Incidentally, the road is shut down midway due to poor conditions which is why I didn't drive the whole route. The only "unnatural" thing I saw were a few of those liter barrel roadside markers near the dry lake on their side, so they may do patrols or have a some infrastructure that I didn't see.

I thought you might have to lug a geiger counter to avoid hot spots, but after taking the NTS tour, it is pretty clear that all hot spots are marked and fenced.

This is not to condone crossing the border. Rather, it is to comment that doing this would not be very difficult, at least as far as security is concerned. Physical strength is another matter, as is food and water. You better like eating cactus or trapping rabbits, because that is all you will find on the range that isn't meaner than you. Forget hunting for food. Taking firearms across the border would mean major trouble if you were caught, plus one gun shot could be heard for miles in the dead of the desert.

In Reply to: Never Happened. posted by ghost on March 23, 2003 at 12:02:33 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]