Re: N. Korean Jets Intercept U.S. Spy Plane

Message posted by dannywho on March 04, 2003 at 3:46:01 PST:

They can and should hold for quite a while, during the
cold war there were so many of these flights over and near the USSR, China, etc., and of the thousands of these recon flights, only a handfull were ever fired upon.

Now, this is not to say that it couldn't happen now, tensions are high. The pentagon says that they may or
will have fighters accompany the recon flights. This alone, with the inconsistant actions of the N. Korean
fighters over the years, could easily become a firefight at 30,000 ft. Whereas, in most of the flights over the past 50 years, solo flights are the most non-aggressive, albeit, with no defensive capability.

This situation, along with our posturing up the rheteric, and increasing our military presence in the region, i.e., 20 plus B-52s to Guam, increased troop strenghts, and naval presence, are bound to only escelate thin nerve's. Now some of this, i.e., the
bombers, could be a forward deployment to have more
planes close to the middle east situation.

I can only see this going to a bad end, the ratcheting up of the military on both sides is something we have not done with a major power in many years, and it is
escalating very quickly.

This is not a place we really want to be engaged, the
forcasts for casualties on the peninsula are stated to
be around 2 million plus in a major engagement. Are we
really ready to commit to this kind of slaughter on both sides. I think the North is, but I wouldn't be so sure of this countries willingness, now our governments position may be different, but this administration is very prone to commit our troops to large scale actions.

Pay attention to this one.

dannywho!

In Reply to: N. Korean Jets Intercept U.S. Spy Plane posted by darkstar55 on March 04, 2003 at 0:59:28 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]