Re: OT - Bush

Message posted by gary on January 15, 2001 at 15:13:08 EST:

Slush fund? I'd like to see evidence of that. People go to jail for slush funds. Just ask Dick Nixon. [Well that would be tough.]

I think everyone in the DOD just winked when Bush made those moronic 'next generation' statements. They know the idea is to get someone friendly to their cause, then ply their opinion on where to spend the bucks.

There is a real fear that the Star Wars program will screw up the conventional weapons programs, just like during the Ronald Reagan years. It will take pressure from the Democrats to prevent the money from going down the wrong hole again.

If my recollection is correct, the "preparedness" peaked during George HW Bush's term. Star Wars had fizzled and base closings had shuffled the money around in a manner where the real troops could get it. Preparation during the Reagan years was a joke. [Remember the Lebanon Marine fiasco?]

I think Rumsfeld, if allowed to run the show and prevented from spending money on Star Wars, will be up to par with Cohen. Cohen was more of an intellectual, while Rumsfeld is a practical person. I watched hours of the Senate hearings waiting out the bad weather. Rumsfeld likes the Globalhawk nad UAVs in general.

While the GOP did their best to bad mouth the Clinton handling of the military, there is no denying that military pay has done well during the Clinton years. Reagan was a disaster, but GHW Bush was on par with Clinton.

In Reply to: Re: OT - Bush posted by Andre' M. Dall'au on January 15, 2001 at 14:36:08 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]