Re: Sensors to Tikaboo?

Message posted by lone wolf on February 14, 2003 at 12:40:04 PST:

Forget about late march unless you like hiking between piles of snow. In fact, there may be snow there in April as well. I would wait until May.

Frequency counters are really only good once you are on top of the source. A counter wouldn't help to track down a source. I've done direction finding of transmitters (called T-hunts by hams). You really need a continuous signal to transmitter hunt, and I guess that these road sensors only chirp when they are set off. They probably chrip periodically to assure the network is working. I use the body-shielding method to track down transmitters, but I also have some homemade detection gear that uses an alternating antenna switching scheme.

The link I provided is for an interesting RF detection device. I've used it to do a first order check on RF shielding for DC-DC applications, but I have also taken the device to the Groom Lake area. This device can detect when the fire up the radar on Bald Mountain. [You get a hit every 13 seconds.] Once the radar is fired up, you will get the parade of lights flying the loop around the general area (start at base, fly towards tikaboo, head out over to Mt. Irish, then back to the base.]

Attached link: zap checker

In Reply to: Sensors to Tikaboo? posted by Quadaxial on February 14, 2003 at 8:49:55 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]