Re: The most ideal location to view Edwards AFB from an elevation

Message posted by Norio Hayakawa on January 24, 2003 at 23:29:26 PST:

Gary,
When we climbed atop a hill just slightly northwest and adjacent to the main Fremont Peak, we saw what appeared to be some type of a landing strip to the north of the hill. I didn't see any UAVs. There was some type of a small building to the north of the area. I am not 100% convinced that that was the landing strip for the Navy's own UAV programs. After looking at another map, however, it does seem that that particular area is an isolated portion of part of China Lake Naval Weapons Testing areas and if that is the case, it may be restricted area by land.
The landing strip didn't seem too impressive. I still do not know what SEASITE is (as was posted by someone here in the discussion before).
It may be the southeast part of Cuddeback Dry Lake.
In any case, the Fremont Peak is located about 10 miles north of the Kramer Junction (a.k.a. Four Corners), just east of Highway 395.
There is a dirt road going east, and with a 4-wheel drive you can go almost to the mid-base area of the hills. Once you park the vehicle, it is a fairly easy 45 minute hike to the hill adjacent to the main Fremont Peak.
I would check MapQuest and search for the Fremont Peak. Perhaps it may give a better location.

In Reply to: Re: The most ideal location to view Edwards AFB from an elevation posted by gary on January 24, 2003 at 21:21:49 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]