Re: Future Russian Fighter Designs

Message posted by Nimrod99 on December 29, 2002 at 22:02:01 PST:

I wouldn't dismiss the Russian's (The Soviet union no longer exists.

If memory serves me correctly - when the Soviets were still around, they were first with the Mig-25 (1968) which was delveloped to counter the USAF XB70. The US then developed the F-15 (1976) to counter the Mig.

I also understand that Russian Physicists have researched a lot of good stuff the USA has used - as in the original stealth technology formulae, and plasma boundary layer physics for reducing aircaft drag.

In the nineteenth century, Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell developed a series of mathematical formulas to predict how electromagnetic radiation would scatter when reflected from a specific geometric shape.
the 1960s, Russian scientist Pyotr Ufimtsev began developing equations for predicting the reflection of electromagnetic waves from simple two-dimensional shapes. His work was regularly collected and translated into English and provided to U.S. scientists. By the early 1970s, a few U.S. scientists, mathematicians, and aircraft designers began to realize that it was possible to use these theories to design aircraft with substantially reduced radar signatures. Lockheed Aircraft, working under a contract to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, soon began development of the F-117 stealth fighter.

In Reply to: Re: Future Russian Fighter Designs posted by Slick on December 29, 2002 at 0:20:00 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]