Re: Area 51 Weather

Message posted by Hank on December 20, 2002 at 18:05:57 PST:

Just returned from a trip to Rachel yesterday morning.(Thursday).Starting at the turnoff to route 93 from I15 all the mountains to the west had a dusting of snow on their peaks.Stopped for gas in Alamo 9:00 am temp 21 degrees with wind gusts to 30 mph.(very cold) On highway 375 the snow level got lower. About 2 miles before Hancock Summit it was at ground level and their was black ice in patches until you round the curve towards GLR. Got to Rachel around 10:00 and the wind seemed to have died down some. Ran into Rachels chief weather guy (Chuck Clark) who said that it had been 2.8 degrees that night. (not a typo) For anyone planning a trip up in the near future please be aware that it is very cold and going to get colder. Rachel is 5000 ft. I carried extra clothing and other survival stuff just in case. From the time I got on 375 and arrived in Rachel, a distance of 40 miles I did not see another vehicle.Anyone going up for Red Flag next month be prepared it was really cold and its not hard to imagine getting into big trouble if your not ready for it. A note to anyone planning a Tikaboo hike in the winter....Charter a chopper
Hank

In Reply to: Re: Area 51 Weather posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on December 19, 2002 at 9:06:41 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]