Re: Mount Irish radio site

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on September 19, 2002 at 21:07:12 PST:

The Rachel phone site is on a ridge above the Lincoln mine. Here is the only photo that I have of it, unfortunately taken with only an 80mm lens. Looking north, it shows what looks like a dish above the building, pointed either west or east.

The distance to Irish is only a little over 12 miles. My first thought when I noticed the direction of the Mt. Irish dish was of course the Rachel phone site. But I did not think that they needed such a massive dish (8+ ft. diameter) for 12 miles with clear line of sight. Looking at the Rachel site now, it looks like the dish is similar in size, so that is a good possibility.

Another interesting thing is that the antenna tower on Irish is clearly designed to hold more antennas. And I believe it did, when Mt. Irish was the central part of the now-disused doppler early-warning radar system.

I'll upload photos of the Badger Mtn. site soon, which show another disused doppler site.

In Reply to: Re: Mount Irish radio site posted by Bob on September 19, 2002 at 20:13:58 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]