Re: Gary (re: Nellis viewing)

Message posted by gary on September 03, 2002 at 18:20:49 PST:

I took that page out becaues I noticed I marked the wrong spot on the image. What you do is head north on LV Blvd, driving past the main part of the base. When you see the corner of the fence, take a turn to the right and head down that road. Where you see a pile of trash is where the plane spotters hang out. It lines up with the two of the runways.

Now if you take the same route, about 1/8 to maybe 1/4 of a mile before the corner of the fence, you will see a spot with lots of tire tracks and a path of sorts to take you from the road to the dirt by the fence. That is where I prefer to take photos, but you need a 400mm lens. [The planes will be above the fence line, and you will have sunset mountain in the background.] The other spot needs a 100mm lens, but you may have to run back and forth to get to a spot where you can get a tail number, i.e get to see the plane from the side. I don't like those photos that seem to emphasize the landing gear more than the plane. However, what makes a nice photo is to position yourself so the plane is heading at you, and just take the photo when it fills the frame. This is really effective with bombers.

I'm going to take a waypoint next time I'm there. I put a link to where I think the spot under the flight path is located, but I'm not 100% sure.

Attached link: spot under runway

In Reply to: Gary (re: Nellis viewing) posted by Joe on September 03, 2002 at 18:04:54 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]