Flying Whale

Message posted by Mike on August 13, 2002 at 17:55:51 PST:

Over the weekend I made a pilgramage to Dayton, Ohio to the Air Force Museum pretty much specifically too see the Northrup Tacit Blue / Shamu aircraft. Sort of an odd feeling to be able to inspect an experimental airplane that once flew out of Groom Lake. I think you really have to see this thing in person to get an idea of just how bizarre it is. Pretty neat way they have it displayed - between the XB-70 Valkyrie and an SR-71. No ropes or barriers either ... just walk right up to it. The Shamu backs up pretty close to the wall of the display hangar so I was able to stand up on a lip of the wall to get some elevation to see the exhaust - would have liked to have seen the recessed intake on the roof. Considering it was Sunday the AFB was pretty active. Saw C-141s, F-16s, a tanker, and a C-130 all flying from the Wright Memorial Park overlook (which is now open but had been closed because of 9/11 - gives a great but somewhat distant view of Patterson Field. Also was able to see the YF-23. Visited Grissom AFRB on the way back near Peru, IN. Very strange to be able to drive around a former air force base.

"Sedalia" Mike

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]