The Tooth predecessors/history of the past

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by n01_b4_flash (Member since 01/29/2012) on April 18, 2023 at 16:27:11 PST:

Just a gut feeling or just me thinking out loudly and guessing.
According to @Smythers "The Tooth" has lineage that exceeds to a few decades to the past.
If we look at the history of potential sightings and rumours surrounding it then several 'markers' points out.

There are some timeline stuff in the 60s that to me hints there was something going on that we're still probably in the dark on. Stuff like Gary Powers and the A-12's early retirement in 1968 right as Lockheed was taking some pretty major risks trying to make the M-21/D-21 work.

It's almost as if they were trying to keep the A-12 relevant as it was challenged by, uh, "something else". Sort of like Vought trying to keep the Crusader relevant against the F-4 with the Crusader III.

Beside it, the Convair Kingfish failure in favour of Lockheed A-12. Isn't it waste of brain cells and awful crimpe to let the Kingfish disappear from the scene so early? Maybe the A-12 mission didn't rule out to be unecessairy but rather ended fullfilled by something else which might have straighten its legs to the Kingfish that not disappeared but was introduced the other way? Totally speculation on my part but some food for thoughts and possibility for some users:) to contribute.

Plus, extra/bonus quote that I found on some Yahoo group from years back:
"Again, after another Gulf War, a male colleague of mine openly
speculated about the use of an "Aurora-type" aircraft performing the
SR role leading up to the ground war. He stated that the NRO aircraft
based in Nevada was an SR-86 that has been operational since 1994.

At this point in the conversation another aviation "enthusiast" (that
thinks he knows it all) cut in and said in a matter-of-fact way that
the plane in question was a "Lockheed Sentinel".

This statement puzzled both of us, so we asked him where he came up
with that.

In his words the Lockheed Sentinel was "first flown in 1986 under the
false designation F-121, built by General Dynamics". Furthermore, he
stated that it "was aquired by Lockheed Martin under the codename
"Centennial" and redesignated SR-100".

He said that only a handful of the aircraft exist and that they are
based on the west coast."

@Smythers, what's your opinion on all that, especially the last part with the mentioned Yahoo post quote? Your contribution is much appreciated and welcome;)

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: