Re: Webcam

Message posted by Mike on June 22, 2002 at 20:22:42 PST:

I can add some information about the webcam /scanner audio website that was somewhat active until recently. The name was Area51RachelCam and was run by a guy who went by the name of Bogin and had some cooperation with the Area 51 Research Center (both of these enterprises are now defunct). The site consisted of two webcams mounted in Rachel and a scanner that was apparently located in the thrift shop. I suspect the cams were mounted either on the thrift shop or the research center. When the site started I thought it was a neat idea and signed up for it. Hadn't yet visited the ranges and couldn't wait to get out there. Can't remember how much it cost but joined for 3 months. Webcams were useless for seeing a plane over Rachel although it was fun to see the sunsets in Rachel on the computer after I would get home from work. When it worked, the scanner audio page was pretty cool. It never picked up any Groom freqs since I believe picking any Groom Tower freqs in Rachel is impossible but it did scan about 20 range freqs. Sometimes it would be dead for hours and then there would be quite a bit of chatter ... almost all of which I didn't understand. Considering at the time I hadn't been out to Rachel and the Nellis Ranges yet it was very cool to be able to eavesdrop on Range activity. The site eventually went free in order to attract users and the webcams were shut down but the scanner audio page still worked. I think the last time I listened to the scanner page was possibly two months ago or so - don't exactly remember when. Really neat concept and was cool when it worked.

Sedalia Mike

In Reply to: Re: Webcam posted by gary on June 22, 2002 at 9:32:44 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]