Re: YF-24 myth, the supposed classified aircraft that never was

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by Peter Merlin (Member since 11/13/2003) on September 03, 2022 at 19:37:42 PST:

Lanni did not make a mistake when listing the YF-24 in his bio but, like many other pilots whose bios included such designations as YF-110B and YF-113E, he probably didn't expect it would attract attention. Welcome to the Internet Era. After Trevor Paglen spotted it on the Edwards AFB web page in 2005, the YF-24 designation sparked widespread interest on discussion boards like this one. Consequently, Lanni removed the reference from subsequent editions of his official USAF bio.

Lanni made "first flights" in two classified aircraft, one in late 1993 and the other in the spring of 1997. I am certain the YF-24 was one of those. If I had to bet, I would guess it was the second one. Pure speculation on my part, but it feels right. Of all the so-called "classified prototypes" he flew, that one feels the most likely to be something other than a Red Hats asset.

In Reply to: YF-24 myth, the supposed classified aircraft that never was posted by Vahe Demirjian on September 01, 2022 at 20:52:17 PST:

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: