LPI (IR Laser) comms between air / space ground

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by Smythers (Member since 01/10/2010) on June 04, 2022 at 7:05:03 PST:

As I browse the chatter online regarding the 6th generation airframe(s) and associated drone UCAV, I have come across (many times now) people whom insist that a UCAV couldn't possibly operate in an electronic warfare saturated environment because they would lose their ability to communicate and position themselves.

Enter SOFTWARE DEFINED MULTIFUNCTION LIDAR

In a nutshell, it is an IR laser housing with a receive / transmit capability with an upgrade; the LIDAR can be used to take accurate ground measurements and do the ISR package, and then? With a flick of the software switch, can be used as a 2gB a second (and rising) covert, long range LPI data link to other airframes and satellites.

What does this mean to the UCAV and manned airframe going into harms way? Well, for starters, if you have a LIDAR mapped world (Which, fortunately we do, in high resolution to boot), you have a LIDAR library of positional data. No GPS available? Well, shoot the terrain and you know where you are, instantly.

Secondly? High speed jam proof comms between your manned / unmanned airframes, with the added bonus of being able to keep a constant feed back to Beale et al that is in as near to real time as possible. Now, I know that people say 'satellites are vulnerable', and they are unless they are in a vast constellation or, you simply have orbits at 70,000 feet of said equipped communications UAS as a fail safe backup (Which do not need to be low observable at all, quite the opposite to be frank!)

So, if you see UAV or manned assets with pods underwing with what looks like a dragonfly eye? Think about the possibility that the world of high speed comms has changed forever.

Happy hunting.

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title: