Glenn Campbell Passing

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by Mike (Member since 01/23/2022) on January 23, 2022 at 13:48:58 PST:

I didn't see this on the forum but wanted to update everyone.

One of the original Area 51 interceptors, Glenn Campbell passed away on December 13th, 2021, after declaring a “draw” with his battle from lymphoma cancer (He would have never surrendered, thus a draw is a more acceptable resolution).

Back in the early 90’s, the Area 51 Interceptors helped make Rachel, NV and Area 51 the household name it is now. Glenn, who then went by the callsign “Psychospy” (they all had callsigns) along with Jim Goodall (The Great One), John Andrews (Spy One), Mark Farmer (Agent X), Tom Mahood (Hand), Mike Dornheim (The Ayatollah), Stuart Brown (The Minister of Words), and Peter Merlin (Shadowhawk) were the (ODI) members of this group of adventurers who roamed the early Area 51 terrain and brought the folklore, and attention which has made Area 51 a worldwide known name to the forefront of a movement still happening today.

Glenn had worked as a computer programmer in Boston and gained a driving interest in aliens as a child because as he said, “I wanted them to help me escape.” While this childhood interest in ufology waned, he again caught the UFO bug in 1991 reading magazines which mentioned Area 51. The stories of being able to see UFOs regularly finally drove Glenn to chase his passion and drive cross country to the Little A’le’Inn in January of 1993. Once there he would plug in and live in his RV just behind the A'le'Inn. He only intended on staying for a month, but this trip ended up being 2-and-half-years of life in Rachel, where he became the self-proclaimed “Area 51 Public Relations Officer.”

Glenn purchased a trailer starting the Area 51 Research Center and would also start a newsletter called the Desert Rat. Glenn also claimed to have coined the name “Freedom Ridge” and along with Tom & Jeri Mahood made the initial hike and coined the name of what we now call "Tikaboo Peak." His Dreamland military patch is also well known even today, and he published the "Area 51 Visitor's Guide" which was well known in the 90's.

Glenn was a pragmatic personality who eventually left Rachel, NV to report on family court in Las Vegas, then becoming a baggage handler for US Airways before gaining a wanderlust lifestyle akin to Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp) where he began traveling the world on the cheap (he had been laid off but could fly for free), ultimately visiting 88 countries before his first battle with lymphoma in 2018. He would beat lymphoma and continued to travel around the United States living out of a car (he ran a side business of transporting people’s vehicles cross country) out of choice, documenting his travels and thoughts. He was diagnosed again with lymphoma in early 2021 and ultimately declared it a draw on December 13th, 2021.

I met Glenn one time in 2010 (just before he hosted "Groomstock 2010"), and he was pleasant and insightful – very thoughtful. After our brief meeting (I had known and read/watch programs with Glenn in them beforehand) I like many continued to follow Glenn’s exploits via his many social media accounts and websites he maintained. Glenn didn’t have much close family when he passed so I felt Glenn deserved some recognition and remembrance of his contribution to the Area 51 lore and figured here on DreamlandResort seemed appropriate.

He will always be a part of the history of people who made Area 51 a cultural phenomenon (along with the rest of the Area 51 Interceptors, Art Bell, Stanton Friedman, Bob Lazar, George Knapp, Pat Travis & Connie West (Little A’le’Inn) and Joerg Arnu (DreamlandResort.com). People love to wonder about the unknown; we want to make the adventurous pilgrimage to Rachel, have a meal & drink at the A'le'Inn, share stories with kindred spirits, and go have a night watch with the hope of seeing something crazy in the star filled Nevada night sky. The people mentioned above have and continue to stoke the fire of curiosity which has now spanned multiple generations around our globe. Rest easy Glenn, and thanks for the memories.

Here is a podcast Glenn did, and it is a good background of his time in Rachel:
http://www.kilroycafe.com/audio/toronto/errol-090502.mp3

I would love to hear any Glenn Campbell or early Area 51 Interceptor stories any of you may have!

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: