Re: Red Flag 22-1

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) (Member since 10/17/2000) on December 21, 2021 at 11:16:12 PST:

Unfortunately I cannot confirm the Red Flag dates. But I am pretty confident in the "educated guesses" we posted. Every year we file a FOIA request to obtain the dates. This year the request (filed on 10/16) was denied with the reasoning below. I filed an appeal on 10/29 but have not heard anything since.

Response to my FOIA request:

Dear Mr Arnu
This responds to your 16-Oct-21, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request 2022-00213-F received on 28-Oct-21, which seeks the following:

I herewith request the dates for upcoming Red Flag, Green Flag and Black Flag exercises held at Nellis AFB in the 2022 Calendar Year as known or planned at this time. I also request a list of participating units for each exercise. (Date Range for Record Search: From 01/01/2021 To 12/31/2022)

Your request is not a record and therefore it has been determined that you did not submit a perfected FOIA and does not meet the requirements of a FOIA request in accordance with Department of Defense Regulation 5400.7. You must reasonably describe the records requested to enable the office of primary responsibility to conduct a reasonable search. We cannot process your request for all releasable records. Searching and reviewing all releasable records would involve tremendous manpower and result in hundreds of man-hours to complete. By requesting all releasable records, every organization on Nellis AFB would be required to conduct a search for responsive records.

If you disagree and interpret this response as an adverse action, you may write to the Secretary of the Air Force, within 90 calendar days from the date of this letter. Include in the appeal your reasons for reconsideration, and attach a copy of this letter. You may also submit your appeal on line at the Air Force’s Public Access Link: https://efoia.milcloud.mil/App/PalLogin.aspx.

You may contact the Air Force FOIA Public Liaison Officer, Ms. Anh Trinh, concerning this final response at Air Force FOIA Public Liaison Office, 1800 Air Force Pentagon, Washington, DC 20330-1800 or DAF.FOIA@us.af.mil or (703) 614-8500. You may also seek dispute resolution services from the Office of Government Information Services, and can find information on this Office at https://www.archives.gov/ogis/mediation-program/request-assistance. Using the dispute resolution services, will not affect your appeal rights.

The FOIA provides for the collection of fees based on the costs of processing a FOIA request and your fee category. In this case, no fees were assessed for processing this request.

Direct questions to Nellis FOIA office at (702) 652-9822 and reference FOIA case number 2022-00213-F.

Sincerely,

Freedom of Information Act Manager
Nellis FOIA Officer

In Reply to: Red Flag 22-1 posted by Edward on December 21, 2021 at 8:18:02 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]