Re: Tikaboo Photography

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) (Member since 10/17/2000) on December 07, 2021 at 22:18:59 PST:

The C-5 works very well. The single biggest issue with it is that it is not auto focus. You have to focus manually using the focus knob on the scope. With the focus point constantly drifting due to atmospheric distortions and temperature changes it is very difficult to get the individual frames in focus. That said, my best Tikaboo panorama to date was taken through the C-5 with my trusty old Canon D-60 attached to it, back in 2005. See attached link. With the smaller chip of the D-60 the C-5 has a 2000mm equivalent focal length. BTW, shameless plug: My D-60 is currently listed for sale on Ebay if you want to own a piece of Area 51 research history. Trying to free up funds to buy an R6.

The sun angle makes a huge difference. In March the sun angle is lower. The base is on the east side of Papoose Mtn, so in addition to shooting into the sun you are looking at the base already in the shadow in the afternoon. Early morning light brings out by far the most contrast. If you don't want to camp on top I would try to be up there by 9:30 or 10am.

Attached link: Area 51 Panorama taken from Tikaboo Peak on August 7, 2005

In Reply to: Re: Tikaboo Photography posted by CHetz on December 07, 2021 at 21:17:32 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]