Re: 40th Anniversary of the F-117

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) (Member since 10/17/2000) on June 18, 2021 at 12:04:31 PST:

The Sabre 41 callsign is somewhat odd. The "Sabre" call is normally used around here by aircraft out of Area 51. In particular the Groom F-16's, security chopper and other mission aircraft. The two digit number identifies what they are. See the attached link for more info.

Since around March of this year I have been hearing the Sabre 41 call sign used by an aircraft based at TTR. Both on UHF and also on VHF frequencies. Before that, since around 2019, I have heard the call used by an aircraft out of Area 51.

On at least one occasion I have heard Sabre 41 doing a mission together with Knight 21 and 22 (F-117 from TTR).

Today Sabre 41 joined a formation of four F-117 from TTR for the 40th Anniversary fly-by at their birth place, Area 51. When the formation split into two groups Sabre 41 took the lead of the second group, so it is a significant element.

What does that mean? I see two possibilities:

#1: Sabre 41 may be an F-117 modified for a specific mission connected to Area 51 and therefore using a Groom mission callsign

#2: Sabre 41 is (part of) the reason the F-117 are still flying. Either a successor or the aircraft the F-117 have acted as test bed for. It may have migrated to TTR after initial test and evaluation at Area 51.

My money is on #2. And being that it flew in the F-117 anniversary formation I am further betting it is a Lockheed project. NGAD??

Disclaimer: All this is purely speculative. I would love to hear our member's thoughts.

Attached link: Area 51, TTR, NTTR and Dreamland Callsigns

In Reply to: Re: 40th Anniversary of the F-117 posted by Matt M. on June 18, 2021 at 11:02:12 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]