Re: Holloman?

Message posted by Duke on October 02, 2020 at 11:16:42 PST:

I went TDY to Holloman more than any other USAF base during my career, not a place to base an a/c you don't want the world to see or know exists. I know there have been aircraft at HAFB with classified capabilities/missions in support of test programs at or being tested out of WSMR, but basing a black program there would be an opsec nightmare. There were hundreds of us who ran very late at night and/or in the wee hours of the morning to avoid the heat, so even darkness wouldn't have offered cover.

All that said, there are (or were) a small number of auxiliary airfields within the HAFB/WSMR complex where a classified aircraft might be based. The most famous is the Northrop Strip where the space shuttle landed once in the early 80s. A more likely candidate is Condron Airfield.
I've never been to Condron, but I know it was used to dry run at least some parts of Honey Badger in 1980. Last I heard it was being used by the Army for drone work.

In Reply to: Re: Holloman? posted by Blade75769 on October 01, 2020 at 19:53:42 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]