Re: Stunning, Awesome, Thanks, and what's next???

Message posted by Gabe on April 09, 2020 at 13:51:48 PST:

So first I'll say, I think people let their imaginations get to themselves with the whole being "shot down" thing, I just can't see that happening. Even being intercepted would be an extraordinary measure. My expectation would be for ATC to first attempt to get you to avoid the airspace (as I've experience, a friendly warning that you are approaching the boundary), then if you do penetrate it, try to turn you. If you're talking to ATC, it will be done on that frequency, and if you are not in contact it would be broadcast over Guard (121.5). Once it's resolved, you'll be issued a Brasher Warning "possible pilot deviation, advise you contact Nellis Approach at 702-xxx-xxxx", and they will then file a Mandatory Occurrence Report which goes to FAA QA/QC, who then decides whether to refer it to flight standards for possible enforcement, who then decide if it is in fact a pilot deviation and how to proceed (warning/training/suspension/revokation). Restricted areas need specific authorization to transit, but MOAs are free for all for VFR aircraft. That being said, if you do use ATC services (flight following from Nellis), they have the authority to issue control instructions and a pilot is obliged to follow them, but those instructions will normally be to avoid traffic and airspace. If the controller is confident the aircraft would avoid such airspace, I'd be surprised to be turned. I do this fairly frequently when I'm controlling, if I see someone who's having navigation difficulties, I will first advise them that their course appears to enter hot restricted airspace, and if they don't seem to figure it out I'll issue a turn "turn 30 degrees left for hot restricted airspace". But if you go without flight following, you are completely welcome to go in the MOA up to the edge of the restricted (though I'd highly suggest talking to ATC). Someone not talking causes much more concern and can be a real pain with traffic conflicts. You definitely wanna be on your A game with navigation too. If you're not 100% confident in your navigation capabilities, it would be very wise to give any areas you're unsure about a wide berth.

In Reply to: Re: Stunning, Awesome, Thanks, and what's next??? posted by Frank Stamm on April 09, 2020 at 12:48:15 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]