Re: Edwards AFB Upgrades Point To Unexpected Home For B-21 Raider, Other Secretive Programs

Message posted by greatguess on March 11, 2020 at 11:34:33 PST:

wow...

i am VERY familiar with all of the buildings and areas discussed in this article. i have personally worked in all of the buildings in the re-vamped f22 area. i also spent many years at south base in support of the b2 and follow on programs. the speculated concept proposed is very likely in my opinion. the modifications for the f22 brought the buildings up to current physical and data security standards of the mid-late 90s. the hangars are perfect for the anticipated size of the b21. the fact that the parking spots are separate could allow security separation of the individual planes and allow for sub-SAP efforts to concurrently occur. the large hangar at south base has lost it's internal non-load bearing walls and is now one gaping hole so sight isolation is much more difficult now. public visibility of the b21 would be reduced by basing it at main base but it really isn't sight protected that much by being at south base. if i was participating in the planning of how to support future bombers at edwards, and this proposal was on the table, it would probably have my vote.

the concrete work that has been done on the ramp at the old f22 complex would have been VERY expensive and not done without a "sugar daddy" SPO to fund it. edwards would never have done this with local infrastruture funds. all MAJOR upgrades of facilities at edwards since at least the 1970's have been with dollars from OHIO.....

i would love to see the trade off study on basing for the future bomber test effort but i doubt that will ever happen.....

greatugess

In Reply to: Edwards AFB Upgrades Point To Unexpected Home For B-21 Raider, Other Secretive Programs posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on March 11, 2020 at 10:55:22 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]