Janet in Atlanta

Message posted by Zac Contorno (WaterWings Seaplane School) on January 09, 2020 at 14:12:32 PST:

Hi everyone new poster here, but a follower of the website for years! I was reading the Janet page and saw the remark of maintinence for the Janet planes. It reminded me of a time several years ago from where I am now.

I took a tour of the "Fly Delta Jets" buidling in Atlanta June 9, 2015. Of
which aircraft are maintained throughout the year.

I went with a group through Auburn University and as we exited the bus they had us leave our phones, camera, and tablets behind for a "Security" reason.

The tour was quite interesting, seeing turbine teardowns, assemblies, and test tunnels. The last stop on our tour was the actual "Fly Delta Jets" hanger. The tour guide mentioned that this was the largest "free standing" building at the time. Meaning that the mobile door provided no support to the structure of the building. Several, several airliners were housed in here in all states of assembly.

On the far side sat Janet N319BD. I queried the tour guides, (4) which I was
later told was an irregularly high amount, about the aircraft with a single
red stripe. The first response I got was silence. A few moment later after
walking by the First Lady's plane, I queried another tour guide, just out of
curiosity to see their reaction. This guide met me with an uncomfortable
look, and said to me "What plane.... I don't see a plane over there"

More about another 10 minutes passed as we walked through the hanger gawking at the large equipment and structures when another person on the tour recognized the plane and exclaimed "Hey thats a Janet plane from A51!" to which the tour guides scoleded him and said "You must be mistaken."

Something to note was that the First Lady's plane was surrounded by a barbed wire fence with, which I noted interesting becasue 319BD was surrounded by a larger fence almost as if they wanted it to be more secure. Interesting.

Something that I may never see again. I have aspirations of visiting A51, whether thats in this life or the next I do not know.

Zac

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]