Re: Chinese H-20 Wind Tunnel model revealed

Message posted by Griffon_314 on November 01, 2019 at 6:27:59 PST:

The idea that China doesn't innovate is plainly nonsense. I'll provide evidence below.

I value DLR and the forum community, because it focuses on facts and evidence. There has been so much interesting insight (and even some analysis) into developments at A51 - I've been reading and occasionally participating here for many years. The community is great, and generally shepherds the conversation to remain evidence-based.

Broad-brush political hyperbole is out-of-place here. Your statements about China are a good example of that.

You're free to harbor whatever stereotypes and misconceptions about China's level of scientific innovation you like. But by posting them here, you're inviting criticism based on facts. Here are some from a recent National Science Board report on US Science and Engineering in a global context:

-China is the world's #2 spender on R&D, second only to the US (and it is on track to surpass the US ~2021-2022)
-China's rate of R&D spending is increasing at a rate more than 4X that of the US
-For every science and engineering graduate in the US this year, two will graduate in China
-The number of USPTO patents awarded to China has grown significantly year-over-year for the last decade, particularly in Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) (a key underpinning for many defense-related innovations), to say nothing of Chinese patent grants (which have skyrocketed)

In a military context, The US-China Economic and Security Review Commission heard testimony this summer from Elsa Kania at CNAS. This testimony offers tremendous insight into the PLA's focus on military innovation - I've provided a link to it attached to this comment.

Here's a direct quote: "Since the 1990s, the PLA has concentrated on developing asymmetric capabilities aimed at exploiting potential American vulnerabilities and undermining current American advantages. The PLA aspires not only to equal but also surpass the U.S. military by achieving an advantage in the course of the ongoing Revolution in Military Affairs (RMA) that is being catalyzed by today’s advances in emerging technologies."

Attached link: June 2019 CNAS testimony re China military innovation

In Reply to: Re: Chinese H-20 Wind Tunnel model revealed posted by Covert Goat on October 31, 2019 at 12:39:58 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]