Recap of today's commissioner's meeting

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on September 03, 2019 at 18:26:39 PST:

Here is a recap of today's commissioners meeting.

Short version: Not surprisingly, both special event permits got final approval.

George Harris from the Alien Research Center in Hiko spoke first. He hired an experienced event coordinator and they have everything in place, including security and medical, and have good answers for every question. So far they have sold about 200 tickets. They expect about 5,000 people total and will limit the people inside their venue at any time to a manageable number. They have a clear plan in place to eliminate the possibility of anyone bringing weapons into the venue area. His permit got final approval.

Then Connie from the Little A'Le'Inn spoke, if one can call it that. She has no idea, not even a ballpark, how many visitors she expects. She stated she has sold 700 camp sites so far.

Connie stated she had no security firm or medical under contract because she was not sure that her event permit would get final approval. Despite that her permit was approved. It was my clear impression that Connie expected it to be denied. At the last meeting it was said the permit would only get final approval if the Inn satisfies all requirements. Security and medical were specifically mentioned to be part of that. They have neither, but the permit was approved anyway.

An event map from the Inn shows a landing area for VIP helicopters operated by Sundance. The landing area is in the center of town. If this is approved homes near the designated landing area, including my own, will sustain damage from flying debris and rotor wash. I was not able to voice my concerns because commissioner Higbee refused to allow me to speak.

On a personal note: For whatever reason my residence is clearly marked in the new map circulated by the Inn. It is the only residence marked on that map. That makes me even more concerned for my safety.

In summary, the actions of the commissioners are criminally negligent and put properties, possibly lives, in danger here in Rachel.

Sheriff Lee asked not to publish some details he shared about law enforcement plans for security reasons and I respect that. However, I can say that given the resources he has he does the best he can to keep everyone safe.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]