I saw A51 yesterday

Message posted by Griffon_314 on November 11, 2016 at 8:17:21 PST:

After some business meetings in San Francisco this week, yesterday I boarded a flight from SFO to DFW. I arranged to get a window seat on the right side of the plane, on the off chance I might catch a glimpse of the ranges.

I got so lucky. The weather was beautiful, and our pilots got assigned a relatively low cruising altitude of FL270 to avoid a headwind. And our flight path took us just 15-20 miles north of Tonopah.

The base and runways at Tonopah were very easy to see, then a few minutes later I could pick out Rachel, Bald Mountain, and Groom Lake. Even Yucca Lake in the distance.

As our flight path took us in line with the runways at Groom, you could definitely see them. No detail, of course - we were 50-60 miles away - but you could definitely see that there were runways.

I took photos using my tablet, but the resolution just wasn't good enough to show what they eye could see.

Thanks once again, Joerg, for the great resources here that allowed me to know what I was looking for and find it. I didn't think I would ever get to see Groom Lake with my own eyes!

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]