Nuclear Power? No thank you!

Message posted by Gregos on July 11, 2014 at 6:15:25 PST:

I can't believe I'm wasting my time on this one but I always liked nuclear plants. Probably because I grew up in the shadows of Limerick 1 & 2's cooling towers in Pennsylvania. I remember getting a tour of the site in the late 70s when I was a cub scout. Everyone was really excited about the plant being built. Then Three Mile Island happened! LOL. TMI is also close by. I took flying lessons as a teenager and regularly landed at Pottstown Limerick (now KPTW). The cooling towers are right next door and this was way before 9/11 so there was no TFRs to stop you from overflying the plant! Those cooling towers were also a great navaid when doing x-country flights (50 miles +). Point the plane at Limerick's volcanos and folia' your home!

Anyway, why do you think Area 51 needs such a large power source, to power up the mothership?

Area 51's power substation is located at: 37°14'36.14"N, 115°49'8.99"W. You can follow the transmission lines going to the west into the NTS passed Station 700 and just north of Sedan Crater.

Also from what I know of nuclear power plants, they need a large source of water from an ocean, lake or river for everyday cooling and in case of emergency. Even though it's called Groom Lake, there is no "lake" there! :)

In Reply to: Re: electric posted by electric on July 09, 2014 at 14:46:40 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]