Chinese and North Korean Underground Hangars

Message posted by John Barber on March 19, 2014 at 11:12:04 PST:

I recently came across an excellent (but somewhat dated) article on our Far East adversaries construc tion of underground hangars (www.ausairpower.net/APA-2011-01.html#mozTocld966894)

It appears that they have spared no expense in the creation of these mysterious fortresses. What surprises me the most is the quantity of them - they seem to be ubiquitous! I would love to be a fly on the wall in the "Tank" listening to some of the discussions taking place about how they would neutralize them in a protracted conflict (Who wouldn't!!)

Two questions come into my mind here:
First, with a numerical deficiency of stealth in our bomber forces, how would we contend with these mountain hangars in a future conflict? Second, looking at their underground facilities in comparison to Area 51, the differences are obvious - no visible tunnel entrances or roads leading into the mountain sides there. However, is it likely that an entrance/exit would be accessible from inside one of the hangars at A51? Has there ever been a documented case of a tunnel boring machine at A51 or the Nellis Range? Thanks guys!

JB
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]