Re: TTR/Sandia/Groom Patches

Message posted by Gregos on February 07, 2014 at 22:29:29 PST:

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the post. I feel the same way. I've been collecting NASA patches since I was a kid. I have most of the Area 51 patches known to be out there. But my pride and joy is I have all 12 "Moonwalkers" autographs in my collection, including Neil Armstrong's. As you know, Neil became a bit of a recluse after the ebay incident in the mid 90s. My Autograph of Neil is actually a full crew photo of them in their white suits all autographed in different pens so it's not an auto pen. Nicely framed in a 24" x 24" frame with patch and moonscape, etc. I paid a few grand for it several years ago way before he passed. I haggled with the guy for days! I believe he wanted $4,500 for it originally! After relentless visits he came down a good ways (thank God). I still paid more than I wanted but right next to it was an autographed cane from Winston Churchill with a price tag of 65K on it! I was like maybe someday, Neil's will be worth that much to a collector (yeah, not in my life time but maybe someday). I forked over his final price in the end. But my point is now I know I can get at least $7,500 easy but some collector out there with the dosh might buy it for 15K. Who can say...

As for the Area 51 patches, there's a guy on ebay who sells the whole Trevor Paglen collection for $299. I think that's a pretty good deal. I bought them separately and paid way more than that but I didn't have 3 bones at the time. Some patches are over $10 bucks now and I think that's outrageous. for $299 that's about $5 bucks a patch. Oh well, say la vie. It's only money...

Cheers,
Gregos

BTW, I saw some of your aviation collection at the Atomic Testing Museum. I want your Skunkwork's Have Blue coffee mug. How much do you want for it. LOL. ;-)

In Reply to: Re: TTR/Sandia/Groom Patches posted by Peter Merlin on February 07, 2014 at 19:48:55 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]