Re: New to the Area

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on October 19, 2013 at 16:09:59 PST:

I could write pages about scanners, but the most important feature is that it is military air band capable (225-400MHz). Most cheap scanners are civilian air only. Next important is the ability to program the scanner via USB port with a PC/Mac software. If you look at the attached frequency list you will see why. Of the three I own I would recommend the Uniden BCD-396 for all around use. There is a newer model, but I have not played with it.

Scanners are really only something for the serious geek ("pocket protector" status and up). You can waste a lot of time scanning for new stuff. Sadly, I speak from experience again... If you go up for Red Flag and hang at the view spot at Coyote Summit, chances are there is someone with a scanner up there. Red Flag really is a rush because from the hill you look DOWN on the jets zooming by a few hundred feet away! But I prefer the spring/summer time. The next one end of Jan'14 will be freezing at Coyote Summit! Obviously you want to have a good camera with about a 400mm zoom lens.

Attached link: Area 51 Scanner Frequencies

In Reply to: Re: New to the Area posted by Billy on October 19, 2013 at 11:08:14 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]