Re: MAFEX NOTAM

Message posted by Gregos on December 02, 2012 at 7:43:51 PST:

Well, MAFEX was a bust!

Joerg, Alan (neonsky) and I planned to meet up near Cedar Gate just after 6pm. Around 5pm, I rechecked the NOTAM to see if they added the frequencies. I was surprised to see it was removed completely. Rachel's weather in the afternoon was overcast and windy but by 6pm the sky was clear and the wind had died down. I would venture a guess they cancelled the exercise due to the afternoon's conditions. Too bad, it looked like a great night to go flying. The waning full moon rose just after 6pm.

When we got to Cedar Gate, it was completely dark other than the guard shack. There was absolutely no vehicle traffic on Cedar Gate Road or out at KENO airstrip. Thru our night vision binoculars, we could clearly see the water tank and the airstrip due to the bright moon and near cloudless sky. We saw a lot of aircraft strobe lights to the north but determined it was commercial aircraft hugging the restricted airspace. Hardly a peep over the scanner. We all decided to call it a night around 8:30pm and retreat to the warmth back at Rachel. If not for the cold, I could have stayed out there all night. Better luck next time...

In Reply to: Re: MAFEX NOTAM posted by Gregos on November 30, 2012 at 9:37:15 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]