Re: Could this be the Aircraft?

Message posted by Magoo on February 08, 2002 at 0:44:45 PST:

By "JSF Technology", I think you'll find they mean that they will be looking at using 'off-the-shelf' technology and hardware, or bits and pieces common to other aircraft where possible. The F-35 will use many systems common to other aircraft such as the F-22, as well as other hardware available from your corner computer store (well, not quite, but you get the idea!).

As for the successor to the B-52, B-1 and B-2, (B-3?)if this aircraft weren't due to become operational around 2035, then it sure aint flying yet! Look for technology demonstrators to be flying around the 2015-2020 time frame, a prototype in around 2025, and an OpEval unit around 2030. I would be prepared to lay bets now that it will probably be unmanned too. You cna be sure there are concepts on drawing boards and possibly in wind tunnels today though.

BTW - An interesting article in 'Flight International' this week regarding a European consortium looking at concepts for a European bomber aircraft. After seeing the success of the B-52 and B-1 in Afghanistan, they have begun to realise that there is nothing capable of those kinds of missions in service in Europe, and that an indigenous design should be studied. I stress, this is at 'concept' stage only! Only two manufacturers currently have the capability to build such an aircraft, BAE Systems and EADS (Airbus).

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: Could this be the Aircraft? posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on February 07, 2002 at 15:35:48 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]