New Hangar - B3 Concept 2012

Message posted by greatguess on June 11, 2012 at 11:12:43 PST:

This is an update to my guess as to what the new hangar at Area51 is being used for.

If you are familiar with my idea regarding the use of one or two B2 aircraft as test vehicles for the B3. Let’s use that as the basis of my “B3 Concept 2012”...... (See – https://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/file/149.132510.11062012.33788.6a6afi/B3U+Concept+Demonstrator+Theory.pdf)

First of all I would like to make a few assumptions.....

Assumptions

1. The B2 has been, and still is, a superb bomber platform given that it was designed in the early 80's
2. You won't find a better stealth shape than a flying wing until you get into some serious cloaking technologies
3. One of the B2 limitations is the "meat actuators" in the cockpit which limit the duration of potential flights
4. The world is moving to UAVs for a whole bunch of reasons
5. There is, and will continue to be for the next 20-30 yrs, an FAA/safety issue with flying UAVs in non-restricted airspace
6. Despite its odd appearance the B2 is designed like any other aircraft with lots of system integration which makes upgrades costly and manpower intensive

Desired Capabilities of a B3
1. Stealth to counter current and future threats
2. Large payload similar to the B2
3. Long duration flight capability in the 50-72 hour range (or more)
4. Ability to fly in non-restricted airspace without the hassle of special FAA waivers
5. Design/build with the least amount of cutting edge (costly/risky) technology
6. Field before 2020 (31 years after B2 first flight)
7. Modular design to facilitate easily upgraded systems
8. Ability to switch between Manned and Unmanned configurations

“B3 Concept 2012”

The B3 should have the same payload as the B2 which means it needs to be roughly as large just from a lift standpoint. A flying wing will be its design planform and the aircraft will be subsonic like the B2. The B3 will be a new design; an existing B2 (or two) will be used to test (at Area51) the concept prior to producing the first B3. Once the concept of a manned/unmanned option version of the existing B2 is tested, the new aircraft will be designed, built, and tested (at Edwards AFB); it appears Northrop is already flying an aircraft which might be a testbed for this capability - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOZ4m5XkgC0

The B3 will differ from the B2 primarily in the introduction of what I call the "smart box" (SB); the SB (patent pending) is a control module which comes in two versions. The first version is to support "meat actuators" (aka humans) and the second version is to support unmanned air vehicle (UAV) operations. The SB for manned operations will be called the SBM (SB Manned). The SB for UAV operations will be called the SBU (SB Unmanned). These modules will be high level line replaceable units (LRU's) which can be readily swapped in and out of a B3 airframe. The SBM and SBU LRU's will be configured to fit into a C-130 sized (or larger) cargo aircraft for transport to forward B3 deployment areas for use.

The SBM will contain the necessary provisions for a command pilot and weapon system officer; it will also act as an escape capsule for ejection purposes. Outside of restricted airspace, a B3 configured in the SBM mode would just be another military airplane like the B2, F16, C17, etc as opposed to a UAV. The B3 will utilize the SBM for transient operations outside of restricted airspace and other situations where it is desirable to have a crew on board. The B3 could also go into combat in an SBM configuration depending on the situation.

The SBU will contain no provisions for sustaining human life and may not even be pressurized or temperature controlled. It will contain all of the necessary support systems to turn the B3 airframe into a UAV.

The B3 will utilize the SBU for long duration operational use where a crew is not required or desired. The SBU configuration of the B3 would require UAV waivers from the FAA to fly in unrestricted airspace if that is necessary; a SBM configured B3 would require no special waivers to fly in unrestricted airspace.

The SBM and SBU will be easily upgraded to current avionics technologies while not installed in the B3 airframe since only minor modifications would be expected to be done to the host B3 airframe. Hopefully about the only thing that might need modification on the host B3 airframe would be antenna installations (offensive and defensive) as technology changes.

The testing concept for the B3 will involve the prototype testing (using modified B2 aircraft) at Area51. The actual production testing of the B3 will occur at Edwards AFB similar to the B2 test program. I believe the Area51 portion of the testing is currently underway which would allow for a 2020 operational milestone; I believe there are one or two vehicles using the “new” hangar at the South end of the flightline at Area51 as their base of operations.

I am very interested in you all ripping this apart for me......

greatguess

ps. this approach solves one of the issues that most bothered me about my previous proposal of a dual (manned/unmanned) B3 - the need to carry the "meat actuator" support systems (oxygen, pressurization, temp control, ejection system, seats, windshields, seat belts, ladders, portal potties, cots, food, drink, etc) around when in the UAV mode. That would have been incredibly wasteful.

Attached link: B3 Concept 2012

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]