Re: New Creech Pic on GE

Message posted by RickB on January 11, 2012 at 16:31:54 PST:

Since 9/11 one has to be very careful taking pictures around bases today. Of course the long extended fencing at Nellis to the northeast really stunk when they built that ten years ago.

I've been checked by base security on public lands around the base perimeter at Eglin, Tyndall, Yuma, Miramar and Fallon and maybe a few others over the last six or seven years or so. In some cases a local police car even showed up to see what was going on. Not fun and can be very intimidating.

At Eglin, I was parked filming visiting F-18's doing touch and go's in a spot which was not visible anywhere from inside the base. Suddenly I had base security with lots flashing lights pulling up behind me. I still wonder today if one of the F-18 pilots radioed in. I guess I would not blame them. While they were checking my ID, I pulled the "good" video out of the recorder and put a blank one in, putting the "good" one under the seat. When they came back, they asked me to remove and surrender my video from the camera. They said I could request in writing to have it back. No need though as the one I surrendered was blank! Ha!! They gave me my license back and I was free to go.

Once while driving around checking out Edwards AFB for the first time, I turned off the east-west highway to the north by Boron and drove in towards the north gate entrance of the base. I stopped by the big "Edwards Air Force Base North Gate" sign for a few minutes but never got out of my car and didn't film or take any pictures as it was was starting to get dark. I turned around after about ten minutes of sitting to go back north to the highway, and just like that I had a somewhat mysterious unmarked black car following close behind me. I took a right on the highway to make my way back to a business convention I was attending in Palm Springs. The mysterious unmarked black car also took a right and continued to following close behind me for about a mile after which it did a u-turn to turn around back towards the base. Pretty darn unnerving!

Just a couple stories I thought I would share.... and I'm sure others out there have similar stories.

In Reply to: Re: New Creech Pic on GE posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on January 11, 2012 at 14:44:07 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]