Re: New Area51 Google Earth Imagry

Message posted by Allison Wunderland on January 11, 2012 at 14:03:13 PST:

Without looking at the contract . . .

Images generally remain the copyrighted property of the person who produces them -- even if they're contracted by someone else. And this raises some interesting issues, inasmuch as the person who contracts the image may be subject to some restrictions in distribution.

Copyright is the property of the producer. Your shopping list is technically protected by copyright. One current issue I'm looking into is who controls the copyright on posts to a forum. I mean, this post is my copy, but the site where it's posted controls distribution.

And so the satellite image contracted by DreamLandResort.com is likely owned by the GeoImage company who produced it, and they have the option to re-sell the image to others. They probably have the right to limit where it appears online.

In other news, I'm betting KFC and Google Earth have a contract agreement for the Colonel's image on the outlands of Rachel.

In Reply to: Re: New Area51 Google Earth Imagry posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on January 11, 2012 at 10:01:39 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]