Re: Memorial "Fort" above Rachel

Message posted by Allison Wunderland on January 01, 2012 at 7:03:08 PST:

"Above" Rachel ??? Would this be north of Rachel or in the hills to the SE of Rachel (Tikaboo) ???

Google Earth has a hard time w/ coordinates, but I've recently figured out a sort of "end run" around the problem:

Choose the "push pin" icon in Google Earth. This opens a dialog box and allows your cursor to place a pin on the map.

The dialog box shows the coordinates of the push pin. If you have the coordinates of a site you're seeking to find, you can edit the coordinate data in the dialog box. As you edit, the push pin on the Google Earth display moves to the coordinates.

Conversely, if you move the push pin icon on the display, the coordinates in the dialog box change to reflect the location.

I move the dialog box down into a corner so I can see coordinates but the "notes" and comments are off screen.

Once you get "dialed in" remember to click the "OK" tab at the bottom of the dialog box to save your entry.

-----------------------

iPhone / iPad / iPod "Maps" app. is pretty good at finding items from just a name descriptor entry.

Garmin GPS "Base Camp" software also finds location by name descriptors -- in all applications here the geographic location needs to be recognized by cartographers, govt. land agencies.

Can we get the coordinates for this "Memorial Fort" posted in this discussion thread?

Thx --

In Reply to: Re: Memorial "Fort" above Rachel posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on December 31, 2011 at 15:00:28 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]