Re: Hand held scanners

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on November 16, 2011 at 9:02:23 PST:

I don't think there is one single right answer. I am sure (and I hope) you will get many different opinions on this. Here are my two cents:

The most sensitive handheld scanner for mil. air that I know of is still the old Yupiteru MVT-7100. No PC interface or digital gizmos, but very sensitive with excellent filters.

I also have an Icom IC-R20, that is almost as sensitive (except for an annoying area of "deafness" between about 295 and 300 MHz). It is fully PC programmable. I really like the built-in digital recorder. It also has a very wide range, from 150kHz up to 3.3GHz.

The scanner I use for most everyday scanning is the Uniden BCD-396T. It is compact, PC programmable and can decode many trunking systems (not Groom, though!) It is not an easy choice, but this is the one I would recommend out of the three I own.

The antenna is very important, too. Most stock antennas are pretty useless. I use a couple of Diamond RH-77CA, and for some applications a telescopic antenna that I can "tune" (by extending more or less) to the wavelength, as a simple filter.

In Reply to: Hand held scanners posted by Roger on November 16, 2011 at 8:13:53 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]