Re: Area 51 Book... next?

Message posted by Peter Merlin on August 24, 2011 at 16:03:02 PST:

OK, so the cat's out of the bag. This project has been in the works for a few years but I wanted to keep it quiet as long as possible. I had hoped it would be available in time for the Roadrunners reunion, but sadly it will not. At least, a lot of people now know what to ask for this Christmas.

Anyone who has seen other books from Arcadia Publishing knows that the company's format precludes the author from writing a comprehensive history. Each Arcadia book is limited to a maximum of 128 pages, several of which are allocated to specific purposes (title page, table of contents, etc.). There was room for several pages of introductory text in which I can at least offer an accurate capsule history of Area 51. There will be no flying saucers or bizarre conspiracy theories.

There will, however be over 220 photos. Arcadia's format accommodates up to 240 photos, depending on the layout. I fit in as many as I could to best tell the story. Down-selecting from several hundred candidate images was difficult and painful because I wanted to represent a lot of unsung heroes (maintenance, transportation, firefighting, meteorology, etc.), not just pilots and cool aircraft. Don't worry though, you will see plenty of your favorite high-flying, fast, stealthy airplanes.

While this volume will not completely mitigate the damage done by previous authors, it will be a book that any of the Roadrunners (and those who appreciate their service) will be proud to own.

In Reply to: Re: Area 51 Book... next? posted by crossair on August 24, 2011 at 13:01:37 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]