Re: off topic

Message posted by gary on December 23, 2001 at 18:02:24 PST:

The uniden 780 comes to mind if you want a mobile unit. You can even get them "full range" if you buy from www.bander.com [I give you some background on how to deal with bandercom if you get serious.] It is very likely Uniden will anounce new models at CES in January, so you may want to wait a few weeks.

The older BC895 will do some trunking and also milair, but I would only consider it if you get a good deal on a used one. I really expect uniden to replace this model soon.

If you want to scan using a notebook computer, the icom IC-PCR100 and IC-PCR1000 should be checked out. Note that they don't scan quickly, but are exception if you want to park on a frequecy with lots of simplex action (like mil air) and get all the players. The PCR1000 is more expensive, but includes sideband which thus far I haven't detected used on the ranges. Then again, not many people are looking for sideband either.

Regarding used scanners, nearly any Yupiteru 7000 series does a great job, but not cheap. You may find a used Sony ICF-SC1PC. These were blown out about two years ago for around $100 when Sony changed their minds about the business. I'd avoid the version without the PC port because that scanner is hard to program by hand.

You may want to poke around http://www.strongsignals.net/index.cgi

When in the Groom area, I use the Sony SC1PC and my Yaesu export version of the FT50 (a transceiver with extra wide receive range). Come to think of it, add the Yaesu CR-500 receiver to the list. It does HF up to 1.3G, though the performance about 900Mhz is bad, but then again who cares. The only disadvantage is slow scan speed.

In Reply to: off topic posted by Hank on December 23, 2001 at 17:28:19 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]