Re: Norfolk Naval Base viewpoint

Message posted by Gregos on July 02, 2011 at 9:42:21 PST:

Sorry I can't give you info on Norfolk, but I grew up next to Valley Forge, Pennslyvania which is where our Continental Army camped at during the winter of 1777 - 1778. Ok, they didn't camp, more like froze their asses off! The East Coast is chocked full of American History albeit only 250 years old! Not like you Euros who live in houses older than our country!

With that aside, if you are going to be in the Washington DC area, DC is a must! You can spend weeks there and not see everything. But you NEED to drive out to Dulles International and visit the Smithsonian's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center Air & Space Museum. It's not really well known and don't confuse it with the Smithsonian Air & Space museum on the National Mall. (When I was there there may have been 20 other people tops! And it's FREE!) It houses the "Enola Gay" and the Space Shuttle "Enterprise" (Soon to be replaced by "Discovery"). As well as the SR-71 Blackbird #972 setting four speed records flying from LA to Washington DC in a mere 1 hour, 4 minutes and 5 seconds!!!

I also think the fairly new WWII memorial on the mall is a must. Most of us had a relative who served in that war. Obviously, it's dedicated to U.S. soldiers, but I think it stands for all no matter which side of the fence you were on. A soldiers is a soldier. Period!

After that, take Maryland Highway 50 East to Annapolis for some cold beers and blue crabs! Home to the US Naval Academy and right on the water. Crabs and beer, life doesn't get better than that!

Contact Gregos Tours for more info!

Attached link: Air & Space Museum

In Reply to: Norfolk Naval Base viewpoint posted by Wouter Cappelle on July 02, 2011 at 0:12:58 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]