Area 51 mentioned in "Project Azorian"

Message posted by Theran Davis on June 16, 2011 at 16:05:25 PST:

I just finished reading "Project Azorian" by Norman Polmar & Michael White. Polmar is a leading authority on military navies worldwide. The book is an EXCELLENT telling of the story of Project Jennifer, which was actually called Project Azorian. This was the CIA project in the 1970s using the Hughes Glomar Explorer to raise part of a Soviet ballistic missile sub that sank in the north Pacific.

Believe it or not, there are a couple ties to Area 51. First, the head of the CIA team is reported to be John Parangosky, who also has CIA ties to the U-2 and A-12 projects.

Second, the book says there are "indicatons" (all quotes directly from the book) that some or all of the recovered wreckage was taken to Area 51 in the fall of 1974 for "further examination and assesment". No sources or references are mentioned, and no further specifics are given. The author says Area 51 would have had "a variety of technical facilities" that could perform examination of the wreckage.

The CIA ties obviously make sense, but what facilities would there have been that would be used to analyze pieces of a Soviet submarine, and possibly the remains of two nuclear torpedo warheads? I didn't think much laboratory research went on at A51, just operational testing.

Perhaps the material actually went to the Nevada Test Site? But the Navy does all of it's nuclear work at the DoE facilities in Idaho. Of course, that's more for nuclear reactors than warheads. And Polmar is a very credible and reputable source in the military community, not prone to wild speculation I would think.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts anyone has on this. At any rate, if you have any interest in Project Azorian (Jennifer), you definitely need to read this book!

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]