Re: F-18 Close Support Training at Bravo 17 NAS Fallon

Message posted by Paul on June 10, 2011 at 17:13:41 PST:

As far as knowing when they will be dropping the things that go "BOOM!", i don't know of any. Probably the best time to be in the area is when there is a carrier airwing there for Srike University for 3 or 4 weeks. It will be busy then and the airfield will often have extened hours that are notamed. Just seeing that the airfield is open later than usual dosn't guarantee that airspace also has extended hours and is being used for a major exercise. It's best to check the SUA site also but the notams can give you a advanced clue as to when alot might be going on. Part of the problem is that there are four bombing ranges and they don't need to use all of them every day. And they certainly don't drop high explosive ordnace every day. Most of Bravo 17 is setup for enert ordnace anyways. I think that the best tactic is to monitor all the ranges and see if anything sounds worth going there. Of course when you get there they might not use it for the rest of the day. It's happened to me lol. Make sure to bring along as much good luck as you can stow. The Bravo 20 range is in a pretty remote area where little or no traffic will pass by you so plan accordingly.

In Reply to: Re: F-18 Close Support Training at Bravo 17 NAS Fallon posted by FosterVS on June 03, 2011 at 8:58:53 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]