Re: Nellis Fighter Weapons School June 1-9

Message posted by claudpipkin@aol.com on May 09, 2011 at 12:57:34 PST:

Nellis' primany function is to train new(er) pilots how to use the weapons available on their respective aircraft..School is held year around IIRC, but is made up of class segments...I've never seen a syllabus so I don't know how long they last..
Also fighter pilots return to school for recertification or brush-up(as it were), training.....And somewhere in the mix they go to the USAF's version of "Top Gun"/Aggressor training......As most know Top Gun training was established by the Navy to train/retrain it's pilots in the old fashion art of dog fighting.....This was lost in the intervening years between Korea and Vietnam......
When I was at Nellis we had F-104G's to train German Pilots and F-86's (E'S OR F'S??)to train other foreign pilots.....I doubt it's any different today..

War games (Red Flag)are held usually once a year and is a mix of US and foreign AF's..There is competition between squadrons....There's also Green Flag.......
We had something similar to red flag when I was there...Don't recall what it was called however....

In Reply to: Nellis Fighter Weapons School June 1-9 posted by RickB on May 09, 2011 at 8:08:19 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]