Re: Russia to start a new arms race?

Message posted by Andre' M. Dall'au on April 24, 2011 at 8:53:22 PST:

Three of the poorest countries in the world are Cuba, North Korea and (lesser so) Vietnam. Just as I said, they are NO thriving Communist counties. None. Zip. Nada.

Communist countries are just barely getting by economically. They finally found out that if you completely exploit the people that make the money, giving it all away to people who don't, eventually you WILL run out of money. Something that is strangely relevant today.

Please don't confuse Marxist Communism with the Chinese variety that kept the oppressive totalitarian rule (allowing the too quickly forgotten Tienanmen square massacre as you so correctly mentioned) but modified it with capitalistic profit-taking. They tossed the marxist trappings as a failure compared to the hugely successful capitalism approach to economics.

As far as having a huge national defense budget - yes we do and our success has shown it to be needed. We never know where the next threat will come from. After WWII we covered the known options of global threats, but got the birth of Counter-insurgency. After Vietnam we made sure we were ready for conflicts in the jungle, then got a couple of desert wars. We built up stealth to counter hi-tech opponents and when they folded, religious zealots with VBIEDs took their place. We need to be ready for any threat as well as the nukes and tanks of the remaining conventional armies arrayed against us. That takes money my friend, and in my humble opinion, the protection of this country is worth it. I guess our priorities differ - I can live with that.

In Reply to: Re: Russia to start a new arms race? posted by Mark Lincoln on April 24, 2011 at 7:34:17 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]