Re: best handheld scanner's

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on December 13, 2010 at 8:34:09 PST:

I will respond to this follow-up here, since I believe it will benefit other readers as well:

"Hey there, I was looking hard at the ICOM IC-R20 model.I too like the record feature.but I have a few questions about the feature. On the ICOM website, it says the recordings are not playable on a PC. What good is the recording then? What format is it in? Can you convert it to a useable file on the computer? And does it come with good enough software to type in all
the frequencies you want to monitor and then just 'upload' it to the unit?"

I believe the Icom CS-R20 software came with the scanner. It is sometimes not very intuitive to use, but once you get used to it, it does the trick. The software allows downloading audio recordings, but it does not convert them to PC playable files. However, I downloaded a converter utility from some online forum that converts the files to .wav files. It is called icw2wav.exe. I am sure you can google it. One thing I need to point out about the Icom, it has a "deaf" area just below 300 MHz. The sensitivity gradually goes down upward from about 290MHz, and then right at 300 MHz goes back up. Looks like someone screwed up with the upper corner frequency of one of the filters.

In Reply to: Re: best handheld scanner's posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on December 12, 2010 at 10:12:29 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]