Re: Base Camp

Message posted by RoadKill on November 18, 2010 at 18:34:53 PST:

I checked for any twin-prop flights originating from surrounding airports with no success. There were a couple of nice candidates with incomplete or missing flight tracks, but it appears they're registered to legitimate companies in the source or destination areas on their flight plans.

The problem, of course, is that VFR flights don't get tracked in Flight Aware. So, it really could have come from anywhere. I'm not clear on why the Janets squawk sometimes and sometimes they don't. I reckon the 737's do because they're flying IFR due to their passenger mission. It must have something to do with the contract carrier flying...military airplanes with military pilots don't file the same type of flight plan as the commuter Janets.

A few of the Janet Beechcraft runs from KPMD to Nevada and reverse do file the IFR plans. But, there must be much more activity than we see from them. Why have so many Beechcraft airplanes for the one - two flights a week?

And now, the more I think about it, it makes no sense to fly to Basecamp if you're going to drive to KTNX or KXTA (groom). So, I am guessing they were there to do something with remote-site radar or telecom sites. There are a few of those sites very close to the Basecamp location.

Of course, it's all conjecture until someone writes a biography.

I love this kinda stuff.

RoadKill

In Reply to: Base Camp posted by Peter on November 17, 2010 at 17:43:31 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]